ATT patent on "single-object file naming conventions"
An exclusive right, granted to American Telephone and Telegraph by the European Patent Office in 1993, on retrieving files by means of file naming conventions which where uniquely identifying search criteria (such as the inode number and generation sequence of the file) are part of the filename or somehow encoded into it. To put it in a slightly simplified manner, this patent covers the idea retrieving files by combining theadvantages of a name (easy to manage for the end-user) and a sequential number (easy to handle for the computer).
- EC Class:
- IP Class:
- priority date:
- US19910735393 19910724
- application number:
- EP19920306428 19920714
- [_] EP0526034, B1
- AMERICAN TELEPHONE & TELEGRAPH (US)
- BAUER ERIC JONATHAN (US)
- publication date:
- patent number:
- Name of the Invention:
- Method and apparatus for accessing a computer-based file system.
- Claim 1:
- A computer based file apparatus for accessing a plurality of previously-stored data files, the appartus comprising
- means for receiving a user request including a purported file name;
- means for comparing the purported file name with the file names of the previously-stored data files and, if the purported file name matches the file name of one of the previously-stored data files, retrieving the previously stored data file whose file name matches purported file name;
- means for, if the purported file name does not match the file name of one of the previously-stored data files, parsing the purported file name using a first logical syntax to generate one or more non-file-name-substring-based first search criteria; and
- means for comparing the one or more first search criteria with the previously-stored data files and, if the one or more first search criteria match one or more of the previosly-stored data files, retrieving the or each previously stored data file which matches the one or more first search criteria.
- patent application (A):
- claims, description and abstract
- granted version (B1):
- The EPO publishes the patent as a collection of graphical files, which we concatenate into one huge PDF file and, by OCR batch processing, reduce to a text file.
english version 2004/08/16 by Hartmut PILCH