Local Action Days 2004/05/08-12
FFII and partners hope to organise a series of events in capitals of EU member states and elsewhere in order to raise awareness about the secret decisionmaking on software patents by national ministerial bureaucrats in the EU Council. The events will take part during the days from the weekend of May 8-9, including "Day of Europe" 9, up to the following Wednesday 12. They will be accompanied by a net strike.
- WebDemo Against Software Patents
- The economic policy speaker of the Austrian People's Party and of the European People's Party in the European Parliament, MEP Othmar Karas, wrote a letter to responsible members of the Austrian government two weeks before these "instructions" came out, in which he explained why the European Patent Office's practise is an unacceptable model and asked the ministery to follow the decision of the European Parliament. As of 2004/05/05 (when the "instructions" came out), there had been no response.
- EU Council 2004 Proposal on Software Patents
- The Council of Ministers has reached political agreement on a paper which contains alternative suggestions to the amendments on the directive "on the patentability of computer-implemented inventions" passed by the European Parliament (EP). In contrast to the EP version, the council version permits unlimited patentability and patent enforceability. Following the current version, "computer-implemented" algorithms and business methods would be inventions in the sense of patent law, and the publication of a functional description of a patented idea would constitute a patent infringement. Protocols and data formats could be patented and would then not be freely usable even for interoperability purposes. These implications might not be apparent to the casual reader. Here we try to decipher the misleading language of the proposal and explain its implications.
- Join a national mailing list
- see How you can help us stop Software Patents
- Prepare on a Wiki Page
- of the form http://kwiki.ffii.org/DemoParis0405Fr, with name consisting of Demo, city, 0405 and language.
Materials on the Wiki addendum will occasionally be incorporated into the static page.
Feel free to point to other pages from there if you can work better on those.
If you have any questions concerning the consilium project, please do not hesitate to contact .
english version 2004/08/16 by Hartmut PILCH